Sunday, July 15, 2012

First Silver!

I get to have all the fun.  Seriously.  Today, I spent at least 8 hours on the waters of Resurrection Bay, prospecting for an early silver salmon.  I mooched most of the day, and then my paddling partner tucked behind a point and I couldn't see him. So I reeled up a smidgeon and trolled my way over to the point to keep him in sight.

It was then that the silver hit. BAM. Line screaming off while I carefully pulled the rudder and worked to keep the line from tangling with another rod in a holder in the bow. I didn't even set the drag. I just kept tension on the line and rode along until the fish tired.  I grabbed the line then, and put him on my lap where I dispatched him with the bonker.

Ain't he a beauty?

Caught trolling in 35' - 45' at Derby Cove, on a large (blue tray) herring mounted on a clear Pro-Troll (#5) helmet, about 6' behind a 3 oz banana weight. No flasher. No scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment